[ih-moh-shuh-nl in-tel-i-juhns] a.k.a.
Emotional Quotient or EQ
EQ is the ability to understand, use, and manage your own emotions in positive ways to relieve stress, communicate effectively, empathize with others, overcome challenges and defuse conflict.
• Emotions are the most significant element of what makes us human.
• It is human instinct to hide emotions (i.e. vulnerability) to protect ourselves.
• Ignoring or suppressing emotions, in fact. creates destruction in our lives.
• Almost all the essential ingredients for success arise from emotion skills.
• Emotion skills are the missing link in a child’s ability to make the right choices in life.
• High Emotional Intelligence (blending thinking and feeling to make optimal decisions) is the key to adapting to life’s challenges.
R = RECOGNIZE their emotions by noticing change in their thoughts, energy or body language.
U = UNDERSTAND the cause of their emotions and how it influences their thoughts & decisions.
L = LABEL their emotions making a connection between the emotional experience & terms to describe them.
E = EXPRESS their emotions - knowing when and how to display the emotion & modify their behavior accordingly.
R = REGULATE their emotions by monitoring and tempering emotional reactions to best achieve their goal.
RULER infuses social and emotion learning into the immune system of schools by enhancing how school administrators lead, educators teach, students learn, and families parent. Research shows that RULER boosts academic performance, decreases school problems like bullying, enriches classroom climates, reduces teacher stress and burnout, and enhances teacher instructional practices.
"The Intersection of the Heart and Mind"
Our kids are fighting a social and emotional battle like never before; many without the skills necessary to handle the pressure.